Mediterranean – Trans-Atlantic Sailing Adventure, Fall 2023 (DRAFT)
Join us for a sailing adventure of a lifetime, on a passage from Rome, Italy to St. Vincent in the southern Caribbean. Three legs are available:
- Rome to Mallorca, Spain via Corsica, Marseilles and Barcelona (Oct 22-31, 2023)
- Mallorca to Tenerife in the Canaries via Cartagena and Gibraltar (Nov 3-13, 2023)
- Tenerife to Blue Lagoon, St. Vincent (Nov 17-Dec 5-12, 2022)
Space is limited! ASA and Sail Canada Advanced and Offshore certifications are available on all legs.
Come and experience why the Mediterranean has been the source of innovation in sailing for thousands of years, from the early Phoenicians, to the Greeks and Romans, to explorers like Vasco de Gama, Magellan, and Columbus, to the naval wars of the Napoleonic era, and to the ocean racing of the present day.
Then experience the iconic thrill of a tradewind crossing of the Atlantic.
About the Adventure
Barefoot Offshore Sailing School (BOSS) is pleased to announce that [boatname], a 2023 Lagoon cruising catamaran, will be sailing through the Mediterranean and across the Atlantic in October – December 2023 to join the Barefoot fleet in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. We are currently accepting Expressions of Interest from prospective participants.
On [boatname], three legs are available:
Leg 1: Rome, Italy to Mallorca, in the Baleric Islands of Spain, via Corsica, Marseilles and Barcelona. Oct 22-Oct 31, 2023
Leg 2: Mallorca to Tenerife, via Cartagena and Gibraltar. Nov 3-Nov 13, 2023
Leg 3: Madeira to St. Vincent, via the Canary Islands. Nov 17 – Dec 5-12, 2023
Certifications available on all three legs include:
- ASA 106 / Sail Canada Advanced Cruising
- ASA 108 / Sail Canada Offshore Cruising
- ASA 114 / Sail Canada Catamaran Endorsement
- ASA 105, 107, 117 exams if required as prerequisites
For details on relevant standards, see:
- ASA standards: https://asa.com/certifications/
- Sail Canada standards: https://www.sailing.ca/keelboat-cruising/
Note that given the extensive certification requirements Advanced and Offshore cannot be combined on the same leg. ASA 114 / SC Catamaran Endorsement can be combined with Advanced or Offshore.
Maximum capacity on each leg is 6 participants.
Skipper / Instructor
This sailing adventure will be led by Rob McLean, who is BOSS Lead Instructor. Rob is uniquely qualified as the only person certified as an Offshore Instructor by both ASA and Sail Canada. Rob has accumulated more than 35,000 of cruising miles since the early 80s on the Great Lakes, Pacific, Atlantic, and in the Caribbean, and in 2021 completed a 7,000 mile passage from Canada to St. Vincent on his own 62′ schooner, Interlude. In 2022 he led a 5,400 mile passage from Croatia to SVG in the Caribbean, and is currently sailing Interlude from SVG back to Canada. As an Instructor Evaluator / ASA Master Instructor he leads instructor development clinics for both Sail Canada and ASA. His full sailing resume is here: http://robmclean.ca/sailingresume.html . His professional background outside of sailing is summarized here: http://robmclean.ca/Resume.shtml
The Base Participation Fee (USD) for each leg or combination of legs is as follows:
- Leg 1: $4,495
- Leg 2: $4,495
- Leg 3: $5,995
- Legs 1 and 2: $5,995
- Legs 2 and 3: $7,995
- Legs 1, 2, and 3: $9,995
The Base Participation Fee includes:
- Fully-equipped 4 cabin catamaran with Skipper / Instructor
- Shared accommodation. While underway on a continuous passage, all participants will be standing watches, so there will be a certain amount of hot-bunking
- Full provisioning while underway
- Fuel, ice, tank water
- Marina fees
- If participating in more than one leg, accommodation on the vessel while in port between legs
The Base Participation Fee does not include:
- Air fare and ground transfers
- Certification fees for participants seeking certification: see details here: https://barefootoffshore.com/sailing_courses/certification-fees/
- ASA membership
- Personal snacks
- Alcoholic beverages (not to be consumed while underway)
- Meals while in port between legs
- Instructor gratuity at your discretion
Expressions of Interest
Anyone interested in participating should contact Rob McLean at email@example.com, including a brief summary of your sailing certifications and experience, and indicating which leg or legs you are interested in. Rob is also available to respond to questions about the adventure.
Please note that details below are subject to change based on availability of marina space in the chosen destinations.