BOSS ASA 204/214/205 Instructor Development Clinic, 2024
On February 11-17, 2023, BOSS will host its second ASA Instructor Development Clinic.
Target Audience: The clinic is optimized for individuals who are interested in acquiring new instructor credentials while, in parallel, developing the knowledge and skills necessary to work as instructors in the southern Caribbean. To qualify, participants must already have ASA 201/203 and at least one season’s teaching experience.
Clinic Approach: Clinic activities take place as part of a week-long cruise in the Grenadines, an archipelago of 30+ islands in the southern Caribbean, which is widely-recognized as one of the top cruising grounds in the world
Clinic Components include:
- Pre-clinic preparation
- Grenadines familization: Feb 11-17, 2024
- ASA 204 clinic: Feb 12-13, 2024
- ASA 214 clinic: Feb 14-15, 2024
- ASA 205 clinic: Feb 16, 2024 (optional if candidates choose not to be qualified for 205)
- Conclusion and feedback: Feb 16, 2024, by noon.
Clinic Leadership: The clinic is led by Rob McLean, Lead Instructor and Coordinator of Barefoot Offshore Sailing School, and Ian Joseph also of Barefoot Offshore Sailing School. Rob and Ian are both ASA Instructor Evaluators, and Rob is also a Sail Canada Senior Instructor Evaluator. Rob’s sailing resume is here: http://robmclean.ca/sailingresume.html
Registration Deadline and Capacity: BOSS requires a minimum of three candidates to enable the clinic to proceed. The maximum capacity is four candidates. The registration deadline is January 11, 2024, but we encourage earlier registrations since leaving it that late will make it difficult to complete clinic preparations. Refunds will be provided if the clinic is cancelled due to an insufficient number of candidates.
References: Six Sail Canada and three ASA instructors have participated in our Sail Canada and ASA clinics to date. Most are instructing with BOSS during the 2022-2023 season and are happy to confidentially share their impressions of the clinic experience with you. Email Rob McLean for details.
- The clinic begins and ends at the Barefoot base in Blue Lagoon on the south-west corner of the main island of St. Vincent
- During the week we will cover approximately 120 miles visiting most of the main islands in the Grenadines, including Bequai, Canouan, Petit St. Vincent, Mayreau, and Union islands
- We will spend a night in the Tobago Cays, considered by most as the “jewel of the Grenadines”. When anchored in the main bay, there is nothing between you and Africa but three horseshoe reefs. The nightly beach BBQ is a magical experience
- While the clinic will be intense and demanding, there will be swimming and snorkelling opportunities most days
- Candidates will be expected to dedicate at least 20-30 hours to prepare for the clinic, in order to achieve the best return on their investment in the clinic. Details on preparation activities will be shared once candidates have registered for the clinic.
- As with all ASA clinics, there will be exams to be written, delivery and critique of sample classroom lessons, delivery and critique of sample on-water lessons, and demonstration of sailing skills
- The IEs leading the clinic will share their extensive knowledge of the Grenadines, acquired by teaching there since 2018 in Rob’s case, and since 2016 in Ian’s case
- For information about flights to SVG, see https://barefootoffshore.com/location/
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you need more information to assess this opportunity, email Rob McLean at email@example.com
There are three steps involved in registering.
Step 1: Use the Enquiry Form below to communicate your intention to register for the February 12-18 clinic. In the comment box indicate the certifications you hope to obtain: 204, 214, 205
Step 3: BOSS will generate an invoice covering the BOSS clinic fees, and we will provide the links to the preparatory materials.
BOSS clinic costs are as follows:
All Candidates: Base participation fee of USD$ 870. This covers the boat and provisions, apart from meals ashore on three of the six nights on board
ASA 204 Instructor Candidates: Clinic cost of $495
ASA 214 Candidates: Clinic cost of $495
ASA 205 Candidates: Clinic cost of $295
The above costs do NOT include:
- Travel to and from SVG
- Accommodation on SVG before or after the clinic. (BOSS can help make accommodation arrangements)
- Dinner ashore on 3 of 6 nights, alcoholic beverages (not while underway), personal snacks
- Miscellaneous fees including cruising permit, national marine park fees, mooring fees: (cumulatively less than $100)