Overview of Barefoot’s
Healthy Reefs and Communities Programme
At Barefoot, we take seriously our responsibility to contribute to sustainability of both the amazing natural ecosystem we enjoy here in the Grenadines, and of the communities whose prosperity depends on that ecosystem. As part of Barefoot’s 30th, and BOSS’ 25th anniversary year, in 2022 we are launching our Healthy Reefs and Communities Programme.
Here are the main elements of the programme we’re rolling out over the coming months.
- Supporting Healthy Reef initiatives: we will identify, evaluate and provide financial and in-kind support for the most effective SVG-based, Caribbean-based, and global programs and initiatives aimed at maintaining and/or restoring the health of coral reefs
- Sustainable Cruising Best Practices: We will publish and promote our guide to Sustainable Cruising Best Practices, to encourage our clients and cruisers generally to recognize what they can do to minimize their impact on ocean ecosystems
- Supporting Economic Sustainability for local communities: We are undertaking a series of initiatives designed to help our clients recognize opportunities to have a positive impact on local communities in SVG, including guides to SVG Vendors, SVG Local Foods, and SVG Communities. In addition, we are working to create career opportunities for local youth in the marine industry.
- Enhancing SVG’s infrastructure for sustainable cruising: Barefoot is working with partner organizations in SVG to encourage use of safe moorings (rather than anchoring), facilitate effective waste and trash management. and related initiatives.
How You Can Help
You can support our program in the following ways:
- By making a financial donation as part of your charter or school payment. All donated funds will be used to support local, regional, or global Healthy Reef initiatives
- By downloading our guide to Sustainable Cruising Best Practices, and implementing these practices to the best of your ability during your visit to SVG
- By supporting local vendors, businesses and communities during your visit here. Stay tuned for our series of guides to SVG Vendors, SVG Local Foods, and SVG Communities
Thank you for your interest in Healthy Reefs and Communities!